What is a Mailbox Quota?
The mailbox quota is the amount of space assigned to a virtual mailbox. This determines the amount of emails your mailbox can store. The mailbox quota is measured in megabytes.
If your mailbox has exceeded its quota, your incoming emails will bounce back to the sender because your system will reject them. Mailboxes cannot receive any more emails if it is full.
How to increase your email account’s mailbox quota
So that you can be sure to receive all your incoming emails, it is best that you increase your mailbox quota.
To change your mailbox quota, follow the steps below:
- Click Sign Up / Log In at the top of this page.
- Select Hosting Manager from the drop-down menu.
- Enter your username and password, and click Log In.
- On the Home page, click the word Email or the [ v ] arrow symbol on the right side.
- Click the Accounts icon, which is next to the Forwarders icon.
- On the next page, scroll down to the Email Accounts section and find the email account you want to increase the storage limit of. Under the Actions column, click the Change Quota or [ ↔ ] double arrow symbol to the right.
- In the dropdown menu, under Mailbox Quota, type in the new mailbox size you want or simply select Unlimited.
Note: Choosing the Unlimited option will set the mailbox size to its maximum available disk space.
- Click Change Quota to save the new settings.
After a few seconds, the following confirmation message will be displayed:
(your new mailbox quota in megabytes)
Congratulations, you now know how to increase your mailbox quota.
Some additional information:
You cannot set a mailbox quota that exceeds what your hosting has provided. Moreover, because of certain mail server limitations, you cannot set a quota that exceeds 4096000 megabytes (4TB or 4096 GB). If you want to set a quota that exceeds that number, you just select Unlimited.
Also, take note that your trash folder is not included in the calculation of your mailbox quota.
If you want to free up some space, make sure to check and delete mails from Inbox and Sent folders. However, be aware that deleted emails, especially those from the Deleted folder, cannot be retrieved. So make sure you don’t need them anymore before you permanently delete them.