A Shared Mailbox does not have its own username and password. Unlike a user mailbox, you cannot sign in directly to access it using Exchange protocols like Outlook, Outlook Web App (OWA), Exchange ActiveSync, Exchange Web Services (EWS), and others. You must first be granted permissions to the Shared Mailbox by your Exchange Shared Mailbox admin.
The following permissions can be granted to members of the group with a Shared Mailbox:
||This permission allows a user to open the Shared Mailbox and act as the owner of that mailbox. The user with this permission can read, delete, and change email messages; create calendar items and contacts; and create tasks. However, this user cannot send emails from the Shared Mailbox unless they are also given the Send As or Send on Behalf permission.
||This permission allows a user to impersonate the Shared Mailbox when sending emails. For example, if the user "Bob Smith" logs into the Shared Mailbox "Accounting Department" and sends an email, it will look like the Accounting Department sent the email.
|Send On Behalf
||This permission allows a user to send emails on behalf of the Shared Mailbox. For example, if the user "Bob Smith" logs into the Shared Mailbox "Accounting Department" and sends an email, it will look like the email was sent by "Bob Smith of Accounting Department".
Note: A user account that has full access to a Shared Mailbox can be used to set up the Outlook profile of that Shared Mailbox.
To assign permissions on a Shared Mailbox, follow the instructions below:
- Log in to your Exchange Manager.
- Under Hosted Organisation - Exchange, click on the Mailboxes icon.
- Click on the Display Name of the mailbox you would like to share with others.
- On the Edit User page, click on the Permissions tab.
- Click Add and select all users you wish to provide access to the Shared Mailbox to, then click Add Accounts. You can do this for the following categories: Full Access, Send As, and Send on Behalf. You will also find that you can assign permissions for Calendar and Contacts Access.
- Once done, click on Save Changes.
Congratulations! You have now granted specific permissions on a Shared Mailbox.
If you want to know what an Exchange calendar is, click here.
If you want to know how to create an additional calendar, click here.
Fantastic...Thank you for your feedback =)
Sorry... Please submit a support ticket or try another search.