Editing files with File Manager in Web Hosting
You can edit files directly on the server using the File Manager. This is sometimes called editing on the fly.
When editing files directly on the server, you are editing a live copy of your site, so changes take effect immediately. If your code does not work, your site might not function properly. Please note that it is very difficult to reverse changes once they are made. Therefore, editing on the fly is ONLY RECOMMENDED for minor changes.
Follow the steps below to edit files within your File Manager:
- Click on My Account at the top of this page.
- Select Hosting Manager from the drop-down menu.
- Enter your username and password and click Log In.
- On the Home page, click Files or the [ v ] arrow symbol on the right side, and then click File Manager.
- Select Web Root (public_html/www), then click Go.
- Right-click on the file you would like to edit.
- Choose one of the editors available from the options:
- Edit – Edits a file as plain text.
- Code Edit – Edits a file as code, and provides line numbers at the left side of the editor.
- HTML Edit – Available for html only. Edits file as an html file.
- A code editor popup will display, just click Edit.
- Edit the file using Code Editor, Text Editor or HTML Editor.
Important Note: This action can generate unexpected results; please back up your files before editing.
You may switch to another editor while using Code Editor or Text Editor by clicking Use Text Editor or Use Code Editor at the upper right corner of the screen.
If you are using HTML Editor, default view is design view, which shows the text document. You may switch to Source View to view the html code itself or Preview Mode to view the page through the web by clicking the appropriate tab on the toolbar at the top of the page.
- Once done, click Save Changes to update file.
- Access your site, and see the changes.
Congratulations! You just edit your website files using the File Manager.
If you want to know how to perform a full backup of your Web Hosting, click here.
If you want to know how to create full and partial backups of your Website files, click here.
If you want to know how to restore your Website backup files, click here.
Fantastic...Thank you for your feedback =)
Sorry... Please submit a support ticket or try another search.
- How to show .htaccess (hidden files) with the File Manager
- How to access the File Manager
- How to reset your Hosting Manager password
- Increase the File Upload size in WordPress
- Increase the File Upload size in php.ini